Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mobile Spay Station....kinda scary...

One day last Summer I was making a store run to Safeway. As I was walking in I saw a box with two tiny kittens inside. I am SUCH a sucker for baby anythings. I ended up with them in about ten seconds. I had the bright idea that they could be our "mousers." I brought them home much to the kid's delight. We decided to keep them in the office until they were big enough to go outside. Well for one, they didn't get very big. Also, they needed to be fixed so we had to wait to send them outside. Finally the day came when we were tired of them taking up office space. I called the vet to make an appointment. $120! For each cat. I remembered my friend telling me about a mobile spay station that travels around town. I looked it up online and found out they would be in our area the first week of February.

The rules were as follows:

No food after midnight.
Check-in at 6:15 am
$40.00 cash per cat
Pick up at 4:00. If late, you pay $10.00 per minute.
Do not knock on door.

The cats got checked in at 6:15. Scott took them. He didn't get out of there until 8:30. Better him than me...I hate waiting in lines. Plus, he has his iphone to keep him busy in situations like that.

I got there at 3:45 to pick them up. I felt like I was a part of some black market spaying ring. It looked like a space ship on wheels. Autumn asked me if there was gravity inside of there. Then she held her hand up like she was talking into a radio and said. "KSSHHH.... Commander, this cat is now fixed. Give me some dry ice cream."

The fact that it was 100 yards from Taco Time just grossed me out to no end. Autumn, Chase and I stood outside with the other people and waited. One lady felt brave and hit the intercom button. "Please be patient. We will be with you shortly." Ok.....

One by one they started bringing the cats and dogs outside. I was pretty sure we didn't bring them in a crate and so I knew the apple box was ours. Everyone else had cute little carriers with toys inside. I wanted to send Autumn and Chase up to get the box, but didn't want the cats to bust open their stitches if they got dropped. I walked up and took the box carefully and tried to listen as she gave me last minute instructions, ignoring the stares from the other pet owners. Finally I could take the scrutiny no more. I turned to face them.
"These are just outdoor cats, okay?!" Nobody responded. One lady smiled weakly.

The top was taped shut. These cats didn't seem calm or sedated. They seemed violent and hyped up. I was afraid to lift that lid. She told us that the medicine would make them foam at the mouth and not to worry. She told us it was CRUCIAL that we get it down their throats no matter what. The cats might bite, scratch or vomit. And that is nooooormal.....I looked down a t Autumn and said, "You can be in charge of giving the medicine." She just shook her head no.

Needless to say, when I got home and lifted the lid they clawed their way right up and over me. I did manage to get out of giving the medicine. And thankfully only one cat foamed at the mouth...

Two more success stories for the Whatcom County Spay Station...

Ksshh...over and out....


  1. Better you than me! :) I am no cat lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe they donate any unwanted cats to Taco Time!! lol