Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ken Doll Shopping

I was in Wal-Mart with the kids a couple of days ago. Havensong was being a little fussy so we were feeding her some Gerber Puffs while we shopped. Eating solid food is new to her and I guess we were giving her too much because she threw up in the toy aisle. She had just had a bottle so you can imagine the mess. At the same time Autumn and Hannah were trying to pick out a new Ken Doll for Hannah's little sister, Ellie. I didn't think it would become such an ordeal, but it was one tough decision.

 I was kneeling down cleaning up the mess and listening to them pick Ken apart. The first one was out of the question because he wasn't cute enough. I reached up and grabbed him and asked,

"What's wrong with him? He's fine."

Autumn told me he didn't have real hair, so no way. Wow...I survived childhood, and all of my Ken Dolls had plastic hair.

The next one was pretty amazing. It was called the Sweet Talking Ken Doll. He talks, but you control his words.

Perfect.

It reminded me of the quote from Bill Cosby.

"Women don't want to hear what you think. Women want to hear what they think - in a deeper voice."

The girls liked him, but he was too expensive so he was shelved.

They had now narrowed it down to three. They were discussing their features and the styles of their haircuts. They even criticized clothing and bone structure. This one dressed too girlie.

This guy was almost the winner with his dark hair and blue eyes but his smile was sort of creepy, in their opinion.

Finally they chose the winner. He had all of the good qualities that Ken should possess. But most of all, they felt that he looked just like Kyle, Tayler's boyfriend. I finally agreed on him, but that is only because he was in a swim suit, so he only cost $5.00.

By now the throw up was gone, and Ken was in the cart on his way to the check out stand. I must say, I was glad to see Ken getting a little scrutiny for once. It's tough looking perfect all of the time and I think Ken has flown under the radar for far too long.

Mission Complete. And Barbie was thrilled to have a date for the movie that night. I even caught her running her fingers through his real hair.

4 comments:

  1. Okay maybe I'm crazy, but I think ALL of those Ken dolls look like GIRLS. Or Justin Bieber.

    WHAT IS WITH THE BLACK EYE LINER???

    I've never liked Barbie, etc. but I'm firmly against it now. You've done me a public service. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah...you are right about Justin Bieber...:P

      Delete
  2. OMGosh! Ken really does look like Justin Bieber! lol
    I don't remember my cousins Ken dolls having eyeliner!?

    ReplyDelete