Friday, November 11, 2011

A Small Thank You

         I feel really blessed for all of the pockets of time I get to spend with each of our kids. As hard as it is at times to  be so busy, it does create a lot of good memories. Today Beau was piping at a Remembrance Day service in Coquitlam B.C. It's always effort getting everything together and out the door. And I often get lost while I am driving around Canada. I am getting better, but it is still tricky for me. Autumn decided to go up with us to keep me company while Beau was marching. We made it up there without any problems and even a few minutes to spare.

           I have never been a part of a Remembrance Day ceremony. This day is observed on November 11th in Canada and other countries to recall the official end of WWI on this day in 1918. Hostilities formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11 day of the 11th month with the German signing of the Armistice. The atmosphere felt much like our ceremonies at home. It was very moving and heartfelt. I saw tears as the band played Amazing Grace. I saw reverence during the prayers. As the decorated war veterans walked past, the applause lasted a long time. I got choked up as they sang "O Canada" and "God Save The Queen." I felt proud to be a part of it. A lady next to me asked me if I was from the states. (I think I may have had my poppy on incorrectly, or maybe it was my messing up the lyrics to the songs.) I told her I was. She said she was surprised I was there because our country had our own day honoring Veterans and she heard we are were dedicated and patriotic about those kinds of things. I told her I felt just as patriotic standing there on Canadian soil. The war heroes walking past me, and the fallen heroes we were remembering were equally important, no matter what colors they wore or which country they stood for. I was glad to be a part of it.
Besides, my son's pipe band is Canadian, and so we are connected in a special way.
I would like to say Thank You to our Veterans on this day. I think of my Dad who served during the Vietnam War and Scott's Dad who is a retired officer from the United States Air Force. I think of my husband and his eight years of service in the Air Force, including two years in South Korea. He knows full well the sacrifice involved and I always watch his face as our flag passes by him because I can see the pride in his eyes, and in the way his head is always slightly bent in respect. I think of the countless men and women who gave all they had for our freedom. I think of the families who show their endless love and support. I think of those who are gone, but won't be forgotten.

 I feel honored to be able to show my gratitude in this smallest of ways for your indescribable sacrifice.


No comments:

Post a Comment