Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday Favorites.... Dutch Babies










First off......The picture of this morning's Dutch Babies is a bit disappointing. But it's Friday. I need a favorite thing. This is going to have to work. Usually they are WAY PUFFIER. I am glad I decided to take a snapshot just in case I needed to fall back on it. Friday comes quickly, you know.




Dutch Babies are also called German Pancakes, a sweet breakfast dish similar to Yorkshire Pudding and derived from the German Äpfelpfannekuchen. It is made with eggs, flour and milk and can be seasoned with vanilla, cinnamon, and lemon. There are many different recipes but all have the same basic concept. I have a friend who refuses to give out his recipe. He is a Dutch Baby Snob, but I can accept and appreciate that. His are very good....I have to admit. No Dutch Baby ever looks the same though. It's like a piece of artwork every time. It takes just seconds to whip up and then it bakes for about 20 minutes. During that time you can finish other dishes or just go jump in the shower. They are impressive to look at, and guests are always thrilled over them. Serve them with syrup, powder sugar, jam, and of course a LOT OF WHIPPING CREAM.



Here is how I make them. There is NO RIGHT way. Just play with it until you get them the way you like them



4-5 Eggs



1 cup flour



1 cup milk



3 Tbl butter



Heat oven to 425. Melt Butter in dish by putting in oven. I use a round stoneware. Any dish with sides will work, including a cast iron skillet. Mix Eggs for one minute. Add flour. Mix 30 seconds. Add milk. Mix 30 seconds. Pour into pan. Cook for 23 minutes. Top with.....well...whatever you like!



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog, it is funny AND educational!!! Do you think I could get college credits for reading it??

    Hmmmmm.....Dutch Babies does sound really good right now. I just fake biked 4 miles to get rid of my mood swing and now I am hungry! Guess I need to get with it and put them pounds back on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so. Thanks for the reminder! I made these once a while ago and thought they were ok, but with a little tweaking of the recipe I made them this morning, and not only do they taste great, my house smells wonderful!!!!! And I have happy children! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi...what did you do different? It's good for people to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love something new to try in the kitchen!
    I will let you know what we think. I am gonna wait until Memom gets here at the 1st of December and will make them for the family!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you mentioned Nate on your blog before you mentioned me.... by the way we also put lemon juice, powdered sugar, and brown sugar on ours with the melted butter... you are awesome.
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try these. Are these heavenly things what they had at the Logos Picnic. I ate like 4 or 5 orders of them!!!

    Tell your friend that doesn't share recipe's he's a jerk (said in the nicest way you can take jerk : ) ) . I think people should share the good recipe's with their friends as long as their friends give them full credit for the recipe. Like these will now be called Michelle Lindsey's Dutch Babies. See you give someone credit that is the key to sharing recipe's. :) Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete