Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Orcas Island Anniversary!

We began our Anniversary trip on Monday by catching the Anacortes Ferry to Orcas Island. We enjoyed the views of the islands and each other's company very much. I adore my children, but it was nice having a full conversation without interruption. I mainly talked about the kids, but that is beside the point. Here is our first picture of the trip. Look at us...so excited to relax!
 (Please ignore the fact that I look exactly like my mother in this picture...not that that's a bad thing.)




 We are staying at North Shore Cottages on Orcas Island . http://www.northshore4kiss.com/
It is so beautiful and serene here. Our cottage is called Blue Heron and is set in the woods overlooking the ocean. It feels like a house you would find in the Hobbit or a Disney tale. There is a spiral staircase, geometric windows all in stained glass, swirls of lights in the ceiling and carved woodwork at every turn.


    The first day we walked around the shops in town and admired the views. We then decided to eat dinner at Mai Lan's Cafe. Mai Lan rents a kitchen in the basement of Oddfellow Hall twice a week.  She came to the United States in the 70's and has raised her five kids on the island. She is a FABULOUS cook. She was so sweet and had quite the personality. She said there were a few adopted girls from China on the Island who came in frequently. They think she is"Mulan" all grown up.( She seemed to think that was great fun and even showed us her warrior "moves.")  I can honestly say, she made the best chicken teriyaki I have ever tasted. The chicken was so tender, it almost didn't  seem like it could really BE chicken. Everything about it was so wonderful. She sent us home with free egg rolls in honor of our anniversary. They also were the best I had ever tasted. I kept telling Scott to hurry and eat more or I would eat them all. We will definitely go back there to eat when we return. The county won't let her post a sign, so she keeps it on her car at the end of the road. Hey, it worked for us!


    Today we drove all over the island and looked at the sights. We walked around Rosario Mansion and went to Moran State Park. We have decided to camp there with the kids next summer. We went into an art gallery in Olga and drove to Doe Bay. We ended up at the local tavern to split a  burger and play pool. I had never played a full game of pool in my life. I felt like an idiot trying to hold the stick, but I managed to beat Scott by accident. He took a video of my most amazing shot.... 




Overall, it was just a good time.


 The funny thing to me throughout the day, is we were the only people in every establishment! It felt like all of the shop owners and waitresses were open and waiting for us to enter the door. It almost felt eery. There are Christmas decorations and music, but no other people!

Maybe Scott rented out the town just for us?


5 comments:

  1. Glad you are both having a relaxing time... when Mike and I go out for dinner... we end up sitting at the table and ask for crayons... lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh I'm so glad to see you guys getting away! I wanna go camping with you guys lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh I'm so glad to see you guys getting away! I wanna go camping with you guys lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ca! We just said you should come too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun way to spend your anniversary! My husband and I will celebrate on the 16th and we have no earthly idea how we will do so, as usual, LOL! We were planning to go away for a weekend, but work got in the way, yadda yadda...I'm inspired by your post now, though - I'm going to make it happen! :-)

    ReplyDelete